Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Don't Take It For Granted

I'm sure a lot of you have heard about Ann Reese Grote, the 2 year old who passed away on Christmas Eve. For those of you who haven't, Ann Reese was at her grandmother's on Christmas Eve and passed away in a tragic swingset accident. I first heard about it because Ann Reese's mom had classes in education at Auburn with one of my best friends. Then I started following the Facebook page & got to see precious pictures of beautiful Ann Reese & read some amazing posts from her family members.

Her story has had a profound impact on me. It has totally changed the way I think about parenting & has helped me achieve my New Year's resolution of being patient with Brayden a lot faster and easier. I know the reason it hit me so hard is because she was so close to Brayden's age (she would have been 3 this month; Brayden will be 3 in May). It made me realize that I have no idea how long or short my time on this earth with Brayden is. He could be burying me when I'm 100 years old or  . . . well, I don't want to think about any other alternative. It made me realize to cherish EVERY moment with him. Since I've heard about Ann Reese, I cherish the moment when he is pitching a fit because he's tired and doesn't want to wear the pajamas I've picked out. I cherish the moment when he splashes as hard as he can in the bathtub and gets water ALL over the bathroom. I cherish the moment when he wakes up at 5AM and wants milk and to get in my bed. I now cherish every moment because I know Ann Reese's parents would give anything to have her back, pitching fits, splashing water, and all. My child has good and bad moments and days just like I do. He gets a little hard to handle when he's tired and hungry just like I am. Everytime he starts to do something that tries my patience, I think to myself "Would I rather him be here misbehaving or not be here at all?" and that immediately calms me down and makes me think about what could be. I have learned not to take any time with him for granted. Life is short; enjoy every minute of it!

This couple has demonstrated amazing faith in losing their daughter. I am in awe of them and I can only pray that I would respond the same way if/when I'm ever faced with a tragedy. I know God has a plan for my life and for Brayden's - I know that for an absolute fact; no ifs, ands, or buts about it. However, when faced with a tragedy like that, it would be hard to remember that at times. Please keep this family in your prayers this week as Ann Reese's birthday is Friday and I'm sure that will be a very hard day for them.  

No comments :

Post a Comment